I’m actually writing this post on a Sunday night, as I really wanted to chew on things in my mind after my phone conversations I had on Friday.
Last week – I dealt mainly with supportive services to our industry. Folks who are not directly involved, but rather offer services you need to perform your business every day. Executives and business people who care very deeply to see Colorado succeed.
Well……let me tell you folks, I have thought long and hard about this all weekend.
See those images above? That was what I experienced when speaking with supportive services last week. Friday was of particular interest, as folks really laid out their frustrations.
And it wasn’t about me….it was about the Colorado Medical Cannabis Industry.
More directly – YOU – the business owners in Colorado. MMC, MIP, and staff.
Now….I’m not going to lay down this “you know who you are” crap. I hope all of you will look at this as constructive criticism, and work to fix the issues within your business, and interactions with the public and supportive services.
Don’t shoot the messenger either. I promised at LEAST five executives who deal with supportive services to our industry I was going to write this.
Here goes, starting with the biggest complaints first:
- Pay your bills – from the smallest to the largest – get it done. These folks committed their services to you, and have mouths to feed and bills to pay.
- BUDGET – figure your monthly budget and stick to it. Look at it honestly, project for your future, and trim the fat.
- Live within your means.
- When you make an appointment with somebody, keep it, and be on time. If you are going to be late, be courteous and call. Many people schedule appointments throughout the day, and simply cannot wait for you.
- Work on COLORADO. So many folks around the nation are looking TO Colorado, and many folks in Colorado are looking outside the borders. Perfect THIS regulated industry and make it shine before you look to reach outside. It is imperative Colorado succeed, and lead the nation.
- Get serious about your business, and treat it as one. If you are not involved with a trade group – GET INVOLVED.
- If you have a personal beef with another business owner, deal with it or WALK AWAY. Infighting and back-stabbing helps no one, and harms patients in the long run.
- Get your patients more involved. Session is in gear – have them all Facebooked and Tweeted up – and ask for action on the hill. Educate them about the current events and bills. Ask them to be involved, write letters, testify, and advocate for their medicine in any way they can.
- YOU TOO! Get Facebooked and linked and tweeted to all the groups you need to be associated with to share the news. Then – SHARE THE NEWS. If you don’t have time, delegate the responsibility to staff, and ensure they do it.
- DELEGATE – Delegate duties folks! Organize! Don’t try to own every little faction. The stress from not delegating duties to staff and trying to do it all yourself will not only make you batshit crazy, but will eventually erode your business.
- How about not be so impaired, or have impaired folks working in your business. It is against regulation to medicate on site. While not a frequent issue in many businesses, in a select few it is a daily problem.
- Act responsibly. Please
- Encourage your clients to act responsibly.
- What’s up with the waste? The recent stories in the news left many supportive services folks very frustrated. Bad press like that is completely un-necessary.
- Support each other! We all have different views, and one method may work, another may not. If you cannot agree with a person – DO NOT tear them up publicly in any way. Keep it to yourself and your close group – and walk away. Practice professional courtesy. Agree to disagree.
- PUBLIC FORUMS – Whoo boy. I was told about it – and sent examples of public forum comments – and even witnessed some myself. Holy cats people – WE are not the only ones who read those! When commenting online – be respectful, and responsible. If you have folks who are “trolls” or keep a fight going – DO NOT COMMENT. You feed them – and it goes on and on and on……comment respectfully, and responsibly. People are watching ALL the time. Don’t embarrass yourself or us, please.
I spent a majority of Monday morning reviewing this with the same folks I spoke with last week, and they are very happy to have me voice these opinions.
I may have some to add – as I did not get to my full list, as folks were so frustrated last week many needed to vent too. Stay tuned.
I hope to see comments – and feedback. One of the common statement from support service folks was “Why don’t they ever call us back? We’re here to HELP them? Why are we reciting regulation to them? It should be the other way around?”
Answer them folks – here’s your opportunity.
Please understand – in NO WAY is this intended to start a war or feud. It is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM from professionals who care about YOU.
If you find yourself offended by anything in this post, my question would be “What are YOU doing on the list that offends you so much to take it so personal?”
Folks – you have a job people across our nation would LOVE to have. Please PROTECT IT AT ALL COSTS! What happens in Colorado is paramount to the rest of the Nation.
The Nation is watching.
Let us help you…….